The first fight on the main card of UFC Fight Night 196 didn’t last very long.
Light heavyweights Nick Negumereanu , and Ike Villanueva were quick to get into the UFC Apex action in Las Vegas on Saturday.
In a fight with an early finish, the outcome was certainly in line with expectations. Negumereanu (11-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and Villanueva (18-13 MMA, 1-4 UFC) met in the center of the cage and slugged it out to see who would remain standing. Although both offensive-minded fighters were able to land strikes, it was Negumereanu that won the fight.
— UFC (@ufc) October 23, 2021
Just over a minute in to the action, Negumereanu dropped Villanueva. He then put the finishing touches to his opponent with follow up hammerfists. The referee called a halt to the bout, as Villanueva was covered on the mat. The official stoppage time was 1: 18 in the first round.
The stoppage was not without controversy. Some of Negumereanu’s punches landed on the ground and landed to the backside of the head. Villanueva immediately complained about the strike locations to the referee, but the official result was not changed.
Negumereanu wins his second win of the calendar year after his split decision victory against Aleksa Camur.
- Nick Negumereanu def. Ike Villanueva via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1: 18
- Gregory Rodrigues def. Junyong Park via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 3: 13
- Mason Jones def. David Onama via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Tabatha Ricci def. Maria Oliveira via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jamie Pickett def. Laureano Staropoli via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Jai Herbert def. Khama Worthy via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2: 47
- Jeff Molina def. Daniel da Silva via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 0: 46
- Randa Markos def. Livinha Souza via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Jonathan Martinez def. Zviad Lazishvili via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)