Houston police say no need for outside probe of Astroworld deaths

HOUSTON —

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner refused Wednesday to turn over to an outside agency a criminal investigation into Travis Scott’s deadly Astroworld festival, even as he and other local officials faced criticism over their ties to the hometown rapper.

During a briefing at police headquarters in downtown Houston, Finner said he’s scheduled to meet Friday with local FBI officials about the investigation, but “to be clear, HPD homicide is investigating this case. We’re taking the lead on it” and “those who need to be held accountable will be held accountable.”

“We’re nowhere right now,” Finner added. It’s not warranted right now. It’s not warranted right now.”

Critics have been calling for an independent investigation into the Friday festival after eight people died — ages 14 to 27 — and scores were injured in the melee. Two of the victims remained in critical condition. More than a dozen lawsuits have been filed by victims who alleged wrongdoing.

“How does a police department investigate itself?” said Houston lawyer Tony Buzbee, who’s representing the family of a 21-year-old man who was among those killed.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner — who had presented Scott with the key to the city in 2019 — said over the weekend that he knows Scott’s sister, mother and grandmother but that he wasn’t close with Scott. (Turner didn’t respond to interviews Wednesday. Finner met Scott and Scott’s security chief before the concert to discuss safety concerns.

Finner said at the briefing that he didn’t know Scott well and that he had only met the rapper twice, including before the concert. He said, “That’s not very close.”

Finner said he met with Scott before concert because “I’m the kind of chief who likes to talk to people.”

“I had no reason to believe that it wasn’t going to be safe,” he said.

Houston police had 530 officers at Astroworld, increased from 170 when the festival began three years ago, Finner said. Finner was asked if it was appropriate that Houston police investigate off-duty security personnel at Astroworld. Finner replied , Why is it not? We do our own investigations all the time. Houston is proud of the work we do. … It’s for my agency to conduct the investigation.”

Houston police launched criminal homicide and narcotics investigations over the weekend. Finner stated that detectives were working “around-the-clock” to review video footage from the ground, check forensic evidence and interview concertgoers. On Wednesday, autopsies were still being performed. Finner denied that the initial report that a security officer had been pricked in his neck with a needle was false. Concert organizers and contractors have said they’re cooperating with the investigation, and police had received records from Astroworld security, Finner said, but “I’m not comfortable with what they’re giving us,” adding, “it’s just not good records.”

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott announced Wednesday that he had created the Texas Task Force on Concert Safety. It includes a list of safety experts, law enforcement and fire fighters as well as state agencies, music industry leaders, to hold roundtable discussions, and create a report. The group would “analyze concert safety and develop ways to enhance security at live music events in Texas … to ensure that the tragedy that occurred at the Astroworld Festival never happens again.”

In addition to the task force and criminal probe, Lina Hidalgo, chief executive of Houston’s Harris County, said she was considering whether to hire an outside group to investigate Astroworld, “something that is independent and objective and can help us improve.”

One of her main questions: “Was this tragedy a result of circumstances beyond the control of those involved?”

The companies that provided security and medical care at Astroworld submitted extensive plans to police in advance of the concert, and said they were cooperating with the investigation.

“We are confident that the facts will demonstrate that the care we provided followed the appropriate protocols and operating procedures that were in place,” said Juda Engelmayer, a spokesman for ParaDocs Worldwide Inc., which provided medical services at Astroworld, adding that staff were prepared for the large crowd with ample medical supplies and complied with local officials, relaying emergency calls to 911.

But Houston Fire Chief Samuel Pena said concert medical staff were “quickly overwhelmed.”

“When it started getting to where patients were critical, unconscious, cardiac arrest calls, I’m just glad we were prepositioned,” Pena said, noting he had stationed 10 to 15 firefighters at the concert, including incident and shift commanders. We took the extra step. He said that he wanted units to be present in the area so they could get there quickly.

But it’s not clear why first responders didn’t stop the concert sooner, said Buzbee, a Republican who forced Turner into a mayoral runoff in 2019 but ultimately lost. He said he’d spoken with more than 100 concertgoers he plans to represent and obtained Houston fire and police department radio traffic to assemble a timeline that shows Houston officials knew Astroworld security had been compromised within minutes of the doors opening Friday. They declared a “mass casualty event” until 9: 38 p.m., and Scott — scheduled to perform until 11 p.m. — continued performing until shortly after 10 p.m.

At 9: 15 a.m. Friday, Houston police could be heard on their radio preparing to open Astroworld, Buzbee said. By 9: 23 a.m., police radioed that people had breached the concert’s main gate, bypassing a COVID-19 checkpoint, he said.

“At 10: 02, they noted there was damage to the fences and there was no control over the venue. By 10: 05, the crowd had breached the merchandise line,” he said, “moving as a mob.”

Houston firefighters radioed that they had no control of participants, Buzbee said, and by 11 a.m., officials said on the radio that more than a hundred people had jumped the fence. People who attended concerts reported seeing large groups of people wandering around the grounds, without their wristbands that indicated they had purchased tickets.

“They’re basically pushing over fences and barriers without checking their tickets, without checking anything,” Buzbee said. They should have stopped it. And the question’s going to be, to the powers that be: Why didn’t you?”

Finner declined to discuss timelines, saying it was too early in the investigation. He stated that police knew in advance that people would attempt to climb fences to gain entry and that the situation became dangerous once merchandise tents were opened. However, he did not discuss the timelines because it was too early in the investigation. He stated that the only way to end the show is through the production and the entertainer.

Scott’s attorney, Edwin F. McPherson, released a statement following the briefing that questioned why Finner and other city officials were saying Scott was responsible for stopping the show.

“There has been multiple finger-pointing, much of which has been by city officials, who have sent inconsistent messages and have backtracked from original statements,” the statement said, noting that in 2019, Houston police “shut down the power and sound at this very festival when the performance ran over 5 minutes.”

“Investigations should start proceeding over finger-pointing so that together, we can identify exactly what transpired and how we can prevent anything like this from happening again,” the statement said.

Buzbee insisted records show that hours before Scott took the stage, the crowd was “just as bad, if not worse,” with some concertgoers medically transported “well before Travis Scott went on stage.”

“The chief knew it too. Because it was very fragile, that’s why he spoke with Travis Scott. They had requested riot gear the previous morning. They used the term “mob” several times. Buzbee asked why they allowed the show to continue.

Buzbee said he had no plans to sue the city or county in connection with Astroworld “for now.”

He said his two teenage sons attended the first Astroworld in 2018, but they chose not to return after feeling unsafe in the crowd. Scott, who was called “play ball” at last Astros home game, said that he “pretty much does whatever he wants here.” I’m sure there was a lot of pressure not to shut down despite what was happening.”

“Scott has a very good reputation in this town as a young guy done well, has a national reputation, bought a $23-million home in L.A. But I think people are going to take a second look at him once this comes out,” Buzbee said of the timeline leading up to the death of his clients’ son, Axel Acosta, 21, a student at Western Washington University. “It’s going to be a very damning tale.”

Concertgoer Xavier Rosales said he and his girlfriend watched the crowd surge over Acosta before he died.

” We could see him trying desperately to escape. Rosales, a University of Houston student, said that you could see the panic in his eyes.

Rosales, 25, said he saw Acosta fall through the mass of people near the front of the crowd.

“He tried to get up and screamed for help. Rosales stated that there was nothing they could do, because everyone was pushing on one another. Rosales said, “He was really panicking really really hard. It’s a face I’m not going to forget.”

Read More