Kofi Kingston, a wrestler of Ghanaian descent has made history after beating Daniel Bryan on Sunday, April 7 to become a world champion for WrestleMania 35.
Kofi Kingston who has been wrestling for the past 11 years and he became the second African American (following Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) and first native to hold WWE’s signature title since it debuted in 1963.
Known to be a Ghanaian, Kingston’s win has been well-received in Ghana and below are quick facts about the WWE World champion that many probably did not know.
1. Birth: Kingston was born in Kumasi on August 14, 1981, to Elizabeth and Kwasi Sarkodie-Mensah. He was christened Kofi Nahaje Sarkodie-Mensah. He moved with his family to the United States and eventually settled in the greater Boston. Kofi had a brother, Kwame, and a sister Nana Akua, who passed away in 2015.
2. Education: Kofi Kingston attended Winchester High School. After high school, he got a degree in communication from Boston College.
3. Wrestling Career: Kingston had his wrestling training in 2005 and made his debut in 2006 for Chaotic Wrestling with the story of him being a Jamaican. Later in 2006, he signed a developmental contract with WWE and made his main WWE debut in 2008.
4. Awards: Currently signed to WWE, under the ring name Kofi Kingston, where he performs on the SmackDown brand and is the current WWE Champion in his first reign. The WWE World Heavyweight Championship win adds to the four WWE Intercontinental Championship, three WWE US Championship, and four WWE (Raw) Tag Team Championship Kingston has won in his career.
5. Marriage: Kofi Kingston is married to an actress, Kor Campfield and the couple have two sons, Khi and Orion.
6. Hobbies: Apart from wrestling, Kofi likes other sports like American football, baseball, and basketball.
The post 6 facts about Kofi Kingston, the Ghanaian-born WWE world champion appeared first on GhBase•com™.