Detectives still seek Alec Baldwin’s cellphone in ‘Rust’ shooting investigation
, detectives continue to search for Alec Baldwin’s cell phone.

New Mexico police officers requested assistance from New York authorities in locating Alec Baldwin’s phone during the “Rust” shooting investigation. This was more than three weeks after detectives had asked for the warrant.

Santa Fe County Magistrate Judge David Segura on Dec. 16 authorized a search warrant allowing local law enforcement to search Baldwin’s iPhone for evidence that may prove valuable to their investigation into the Oct. 21 fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the low-budget western film “Rust.”

But so far that hasn’t happened, officials said this week.

“The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office doesn’t have physical possession of this phone, Juan Rios, a spokesperson for the Sheriff’s Office, stated Friday afternoon. “The phone is in New York with Mr. Baldwin.”

Baldwin has a home in the Hamptons, in Suffolk County, New York.

New Mexico First Judicial Dist. Atty. Mary Carmack-Altwies — Santa Fe County’s top law enforcement officer who is overseeing the case — said in a statement Thursday that her office and Sheriff’s investigators “are actively working with the Suffolk County, New York Sheriff’s Department and Mr. Baldwin’s lawyers, within jurisdictional constraints, to obtain any materials from Mr. Baldwin’s phone that pertain to the Rust investigation.”

The search warrant issued by Segura was enforceable only in New Mexico, according to local attorneys.

Law enforcement officials have been scrutinizing the actions of Baldwin — an actor and producer who fired the prop gun during a rehearsal — as well as assistant director David Halls, who was in charge of safety on the set, and the production’s 24-year-old armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who was responsible for the guns, ammunition and gun safety.

Baldwin representatives were not available for comment on Friday.

It’s unclear why the actor, who is also known as “Rust”, has not turned over his phone. Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Investigators had earlier seized cellphones belonging Gutierrez Reed, and Halls. According to their attorneys, both individuals turned their phones over to the sheriff’s investigators on their own without the need for a warrant.

Baldwin stated to ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos, that he pointed the Colt vintage. 45 Hutchins pointed the replica at him because they were practicing a scene Hutchins, director Joel Souza wanted to film later in the afternoon. Baldwin said that he didn’t pull the trigger , and did not expect to face criminal charges. Hutchins was killed by a bullet from the prop gun and it lodged on Souza’s shoulder. He was released from Santa Fe Hospital after being treated.

Carmack-Altwies is expected to decide whether to bring charges against Baldwin or crew members in the next few months.

In the eight-page Dec. 16 affidavit in support of the search warrant, Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office Det. Alexandria Hancock stated that she was interested to review Baldwin’s text messages and emails, as well his contacts, browsing history, private messages on Facebook, and recent calls. Investigators requested access to digital images and deleted digital images as well as passwords, and any data from the global positioning system (GPS), phone.

In the affidavit for the search warrant, Hancock wrote that she had “requested Alec’s phone from him, as well as his attorney, and was instructed to acquire a warrant.”

The detective wrote that there were “several emails and text messages sent and received” regarding the production that she wanted to inspect. Hancock noted that any information obtained that was unrelated to the “Rust” shooting investigation would be “sealed and later destroyed.”

Read More